Saturday, March 24, 2012

Planning your Fuel, Don't Become a Statistic!

How many of you think you have common sense? I have common sense. As a VFR pilot would you flying in to IMC (Instrument Meteorological Conditions)? I didn't think you would. I know I wouldn't. Apparently, there are a lot people lacking common sense....I guess it isn't so common is it?

 The number of accidents that happen from lack of planning from capable pilots is ridiculous. The rate of pilots running in to a problem of fuel starvation has decreased over the years but really there should be no excuses for running out of fuel. However, pilots are trying to extend their airplanes distances by reducing power and reducing the fuel to air mixture (leaning) because of the rise in fuel prices. If your aircraft has a distance of 4 hours, don't try to extend it past that point. There are many variables that could make that situation a very bad one. For example, weather that comes across your path, icing, congestion of traffic, military operations, whatever it may be, your plane has a range, respect it.

 The statistics on fuel related accidents has decreased over the years but still there should not be any at all. Planning should be taken seriously and must be completely understood before that plane is started. Recently, I had to plan a day VFR flight to St. Augustine, Florida from Hammonton, New Jersey. I was in a Piper Aerostar. Yes those aircraft are very fast, but not that day. The winds were insane after a front just passed through. I determined a time based on forecasted winds aloft and en-route weather. I also had a flight plan... a straight line. If I had to deviate for any reason I knew I could not make it in one shot. The flight was a success, I landed with about 50 minutes of fuel left. Yes that is plenty of fuel per the regulations... but I would not have done this had I known I wasn't going to make it.

 If the aircraft isn't going to make it don't go and say I think we can stretch it. If the tanks in the aircraft are limited to 4 hours of flight, do not go even if it is going to take you 4 hours and 15 minutes. Remember you are most likely going to burn more fuel then what you expect. Just go on that assumption. Be safe, understand your limits and your aircraft's limits so you do not become a statistic. Safe travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment